Minor School License

A student at BCLUW is generally eligible for a school permit once the following are met. The student:

  • is at least 14 1/2 years old.
  • has completed an Iowa-approved driver education course.
  • holds a valid instruction permit and maintains a clean driving record for at least six consecutive months immediately before applying for your minor school license.

Once these requirements are met, you may:

Review the "What Can I Do" and "What Can't I Do" sections with your child. Contact Superintendent Ben Petty with any additional questions, or clarification, or if you have any unique circumstances you wish to discuss in regard to a school permit.

Request an "Affidavit for a Minor School License" from Superintendent Ben Petty, who will sign and either email it to you or send it home via mail or with the student. You can make this request by calling 641-366-2819 or emailing bpetty@bcluw.org.

Once you have the signed affidavit, the parent should fill out the rest of the form. You and the student will need to take this form, the student's instructional permit, and proof of completion of Driver's Education to the DOT in order to receive the Minor School License. If your child completes Driver's Education at BCLUW, the DOT can confirm that through an electronic database.  Completion from other providers may require a paper certificate of completion.

Slide 1
Slide 2
Slide 3
Slide 4
Slide 5
Slide 6
Slide 7
Slide 8
Slide 9